The UWSP Archives houses three major collections:
· University Archives includes administrative records, departmental and committee minutes, photographs, campus newspapers, catalogs, yearbooks, personal and professional papers of noted faculty, and memorabilia.
· UWSP is a member of the Wisconsin Historical Society's Area Research Center (ARC) Network. The UWSP Area Research Center (ARC) houses archival material from Adams, Juneau, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Portage, Waupaca, and Waushara Counties. Through the ARC transfer system, the holdings of the Wisconsin Historical Society and other ARCs are made available to researchers throughout the state. With the exception of photographs, most collections can be transferred to other ARC's.
· Portage County Historical Society includes material collected from throughout the county including photographs, personal papers of individuals, records from businesses and organizations, and maps.
If you are not researching Portage County and are interested in some aspect of another community's history, keep in mind that other counties, cities, and their local public libraries may have historical collections about their areas.
Using the University Archives does require certain rules which are different then libraries. We have these rules to protect and preserve our unique and irreplaceable collections. Thank you for following these procedures when doing research in the Archives:
· No food or drink is allowed in the Archives Reading Room.
· Free lockers are provided in the Archives for personal items that cannot be kept at your research table such as backpacks, purses, brief cases, laptop cases, umbrellas, and coats.
· You may use laptops, notebooks, note cards, and citation manuals while doing your research.
· Pencils or laptops may be used. No pens and highlighters are allowed.
· You must sign in before beginning your research.
· Unlike a library where you can go into the stacks, the archives stacks are closed. Someone from the staff retrieves the material you need.
· Materials do not circulate. You must use them in the Archives.
· Many archival materials are fragile. Handle them with care.
LOCATION: TNR 110
APPOINTMENT: Email us at email@example.com to arrange an appointment.